BARTONVILLE, TEXAS. Bartonville is located eight miles south of Denton in south central Denton County and was originally part of the Chinn's Chapel settlement, established in 1853 by Elisha Chinn. Chinn's Chapel eventually became three small communities: Shiloh, Waketon, and Bartonville. Bartonville was settled in 1878 and named for T. Bent Barton. In 1886 a local post office was established. By 1890 Bartonville had twenty-five residents and a general store, a gristmill, and a cotton gin, all owned by the Barton family. Bartonville's population rose to an estimated at 100 in 1896 and the town had three general stores. Bartonville's post office discontinued in 1905. Population in Bartonville reached 380 by 1966.
In 1960, with cities such as Irving looking to expand northward, local residents feared annexation and Bartonville incorporated for the first time. The town then included Double Oak and Copper Canyon, as well as present-day Bartonville. Once the fear of annexation subsided a few years later, Bartonville citizens voted for disincorporation.
The present town of Bartonville, which encompasses 6.8 square miles, was incorporated in 1973. The town has continued to grow as part of the general development of the area north of Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport. Bartonville is adjacent to the master-planned Lantana residential development, which is currently not incorporated.
Denton County Historical Commission (DCHC) has been notified by the Texas Historical Commission (THC) that six marker applications submitted to THC for the marker year 2016 were approved by the THC commissioners on January 29th including Bartonville as a subject marker.
A subject qualifies for a marker if two basic criteria are met; historical significance and age. This designation honors the subject as an important and educational part of local history.
Marker dedications will be scheduled for either late 2016 or 2017. The next step in the process by THC will be writing each marker inscription and casting the marker. Dates of dedication ceremonies, co-sponsored by DCHC and the marker sponsor, are set after the sponsor receives the marker from the foundry.
A special thanks to Councilmember Medlock for conducting the research and completing the narrative. The Town would also like to thank former resident Jim Morris for his Bartonville historical research contributions.
If you would like to read the narrative that was submitted as part of the application process, please click here
Town of Bartonville Texas Historical Marker Application
Texas Historical Commission (THC) markers commemorate diverse topics from the history and architecture of houses, commercial buildings, religious congregations, and events that changed the course of local and state history, to individuals who have made lasting contributions to Texas. To learn more about the Texas Historical Commission and the marker program please click here
At the request of citizens, in October 2014, the Town of Bartonville began pursuing a historical marker for the 130 year old Bartonville Store. Councilmember Betty Medlock volunteered to spearhead the project working with Denton County Historical Commission to fulfill the necessary requirements for the application process. Due to changes in the Commission's policies regarding "site of" markers, they advised the scope of the project be expanded to focus on the entire history of the Bartonville community with the Bartonville store as a component of the story.
With that direction, a narrative was written according to THC requirements, reviewed by the Denton Historical Commission and submitted to the THC. The Commission will announce their selections in January, 2016. Out of the hundreds of applications submitted across the state a small number is given this honor. If approved the marker would be placed at Town Hall.
The Town Council thanks Councilmember Medlock for conducting the research and completing the narrative. The Town would also like to thank former resident Jim Morris for his Bartonville historical research contributions.